Thursday, April 7, 2011

Rain!!!

We had our first rain yesterday.  It was an awesome thunderstorm for about an hour.  I, of course, stood in the rain for some time then ran through the puddles as it was my first rain in Mali, and I wanted it to be a memorable one.

Today, we went to a women's cooperative that makes Shea butter, lotion, and soap.  It was really, really cool, and will someday soon be very profitable I think.  And shea is really good for skin, so if you are someone who is inclined to sport lotions, or if you like to bath using soap try ordering some!! They only ship large quantities due to infrastructure logistics, but at least look at their website:  http://www.maisondukarite.org/pages/sibysheabutter.html or google it.  It's even in English (mostly).  I got to mix some of the shea stuff by hand with them today to extract the oil.  They create elaborate beats and rythyms while they beat the shea paste by hand, and it is just a really cool set-up. I bought some soap that they added cucumber to, it smells delicious.  I'll try not to eat it before I bathe with it.  The co-op is located in Siby which has a lot or rock climbing near it with bolted routes and guides.  It is a neat area for sure that will definitely need to be explored further.

No comments:

Post a Comment