Saturday, June 6, 2015

The North on Pacific

On May 31st Jordan and I set out to ski the North Couloir on Pacific Peak.  We had a pleasant early morning skin up Humbug creek, and were soon on a bench looking up at the saddle between Crystal and Pacific Peak.

Solitude in Humbug Creek

Early morning light
We skinned up to the ridge through some early morning snow squalls and before we knew it, were standing on the summit!

Some idiot, (couldn't be me), set a very hyphy skin track straight up the face... Jordan rallies up like a pro

Our first good look at the couloir

Getting on the ridge between Crystal and Pacific

Jordan on the lower summit of Pacific with the gorgeous Climax Mine tailings ponds in the background.
Peering over the drop into the couloir I was scared.  We waited for a break in the weather and I dropped in.

One of my legs was shaking...
Some days I'm really on top of my game.  This was not one of those days.  I made a ski cut, and then couldn't handle the choke.  I had to side step for a good 50 feet through the choke.  The snow as heavy, and my skis kept getting stuck on the sides.  Then on my first turn I nearly went over the handlebars.  Eventually I remembered how to ski, but my decent was not graceful.

Jordan came on down, but unfortunately on his first turn the heel of his binding released.  He had locked the toe, but was quite rattled.  He ended up having to side slip down to a point where if his binding released again it would not have as high of consequences.

Dropping in

Navigating the choke

"Ah shit! My binding!"

Happy he survived the binding malfunction.


The line was awesome, but some days I ski better than others.  Next time, I'll do better.
From the bottom... Looking stormy again.

Anyways, we had a delightful summer snow slog out over the saddle between Crystal and Pacific, and then a quick meadow skip back to the car.  A hard line, but truly spectacular.  I would ski this again anytime.

1 comment: